Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Movie Previews

Are these one minute movie previews showing the entire movie or is it just me? Just a day ago I was bombarded with the entire plot line for a new Harrison Ford flick that is coming this weekend.
Maybe it's just me but I recall a time when a film preview was a simple hint, a brief brushstroke of the directors vision that enticed us to want to see more. Now it seems I can see the catalyst of the plot, the apex and the conclusion of most movies by simply watching the one minute trailer.

2 comments:

Jar(egg)head said...

Spoilers are Evil Incarnate.

Even more annoying is when a television show insists on giving you "previews" right before a commercial break, which invariably use the plot highpoint from the next fifteen minutes of the show. Idiots. Sends my blood pressure up every time. If the show is so bad they can't keep my attention, what makes them think sledgehammer foreshadowing is going to keep me there?

In fact, I hate spoilers so much, I don't even read the blurbs on the back of books, which have a similiary bad habit of giving everything away. I read books based upon known authors and word-of-mouth.

We won't even talk about what I do to people who walk up to me and start telling me the plot of a movie I've not seen or a book I've not read. Blood stains are such a pain to remove.

mman said...

Thanks lass, I agree the previews that give away everything are usually a good indicator of a terrible movie.
Thanks jaregghead, evil incarnate indeed. I'm glad you brought up TV shows and the inside flap of books. I haven't read a book flap that gives away too much but I can see how that would make my blood boil.