Saturday, October 29, 2005

Pink shirt

Recently I noticed a young boy (elementary school age) wearing a pink t-shirt with "Tough guys wear pink" emblazoned across the chest.
I had to look away before I approached the kid and asked to speak with his father and/or mother.
As a young lad myself, my own father was sure of his traditional views and one of the strongest of his opinions was boys do not wear pink, and should avoid wearing red as well.
Maybe this is too traditional for some folks, maybe it is too macho, but I would never dress a son (if I had one) in a pink shirt. It is possible this old rule is going the way of the white shoes after Labor Day. I don't know much about fashion but I do agree with Kathleen Turner from that hilarious film Serial Mom on this last point.

3 comments:

Carnealian said...

I admire men that wear a pink or even purple shirts. That says to me, they aren't afraid someone's going to think they're gay. I think that is a pretty old fashioned thing anyway. I've seen these t-shirts you are talking about. The boy wearing it is part of Demolay...the young version of the Masons. My father was a Mason, that's why I know this silly bit of information.

Jar(egg)head said...

Meh. Pink, black, red, white... it's all the same to me. I wear whatever's on top of the drawer or closest on the rack. Unless I'm going to a meeting with a client or somesuch, I pay about as much attention to what I wear as I do to soccer.

If I get my way, I'll retire on a tropical island and wear nothing but swim trunks for the rest of my life-- and even the swim trunks are only a concession to the fact that triggerfish like small worms and have very sharp teeth.

mman said...

Thanks to everyone for the responses. In my traditional thinking boys don't wear pink.
Thanks specifically to lass for bringing up a scary new fad. I agree that these fashion trends should be age appropriate. It's unfortunate that young women are expected to look and dress like the fashion models but if and when a date rape occurs, the defense attorney will make a point of how the woman was dressed and all that rubbish.. that somehow never happens with young men.
So, mothers can be a key here and keep those daughters safe and away from these clothing trends.